Monday 21 June 2010

Picnic in the Botanics (CAUTION - Lots of photos)

This post isn't about craft stuff I've made, it's a whole bunch of photos I took. So I KIND of created something right?

Last week was a pretty rough week for me. On Monday I fell over and really hurt my shoulder, and then once that had been sorted out and stopped hurting it seemed every joint wanted to go out in sympathy so I had to take Friday off because I was too sore. By Sunday I was able to leave the house, and after some encouragement from my Marvellous Moogi I headed off to the Botanics for a picnic.

Note for future reference. I really shouldn't leave the house without a map! I ended up hopping off at the wrong bus stop, turning right instead of left, and walking all over the place before I finally got to the gates of the garden. But it ended up OK, and I got into the Gardens and had a lovely picnic, with lots of photos.

My food
Botanic Gardens
I made a big salad with lots of yummy things and no dressing, so it was probably even healthy! Go me.

Botanic Gardens
I had raspberries for dessert and they were delicious! Sooooo scrummy.
Botanic Gardens

Botanic Gardens
I made a thermos of tea and brought a proper mug to drink it from. Tea tastes better when it's not in a plastic cup.

The view
Botanic Gardens
I was lying in the grass, surrounded by little daisies. This is a view from eye level.
Botanic Gardens
And this was the view looking up.
Botanic Gardens
I briefly had a dining companion, but he only stuck around long enough for a photo and then left. There was also a squirrel but it was camera shy and I didn't get a shot.

The Gardens
After I ate and did some puzzles I'd brought with me (I'm getting better at Code Words! My parents will be so proud I'm sure), and eaten a bag of sweets (oops), I decided to have a bit of a wander around.
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens

The Gate
One of my favourite places in the Botanics though is the gate. It's just amazing, and looked so beautiful in the sunlight.
Botanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens
While I was taking those photos I got chatting to this Kiwi lady from Gisborne on the East Coast. That was fun. Then I headed off, and decided not to bother waiting for my bus, and headed for another bus. Sitting at the bus stop I got to chatting to two women from Bavaria (didn't practice any German. I couldn't remember anything!). We chatted for about twenty minutes before we realised that the bus we were waiting for wasn't actually running. I looked at the wrong time table. Oops! So they headed off another way and I decided to walk home.

After all that exercise I was quite happy to sit at home and just do nothing, so I did! I was going to go to the closing event at Leith Festival, but once I was home I didn't want to go out again. But it was good to get out, so the weekend wasn't a complete waste.

I just wish I could have done some knitting!

Oh, and Daniel, the baby I knitted the daisy toy for, seems to like his present. His mother, Kathryn, certainly likes it. And after Mass yesterday I was given LOTS of lovely cuddles from Daniel. Such a cutie.

Now if only he hadn't decided my breast was a great place to wipe his face, but oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Those photos are gorgeous. The flowers are so delicate and there is so much GREEN.
    The gate is also magical. Could you get another pic of it standing back from it so I can see its dimensions a bit better?
    Moogi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do my best. There is construction stuff behind the gate, which spoils the look a bit, but I can still get a dimension shot right?
    And yeah, it's all so green! It's amazing. I love it. :) And that was only a tiny bit of the garden. I'll go back again and take more pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Followers